The United Way of Northern Arizona, Coconino County Supervisor Liz Archuleta’s Office, Flagstaff Family Food Center, The Assistance League and Kinsey Elementary School are launching the third year of the Weekend Backpack Program.
Under the initiative, chronically hungry children are sent home each Friday with a backpack of non-perishable food that can be prepared safely by the child. The backpack of food provides the nutrition needed for children to arrive to school ready to participate and learn in class every Monday. During the last school year, 2,100 backpacks were distributed.
Thanks to the efforts of the Backpack Program’s partners, this food is provided completely free of charge. The program is a key part of the United Way’s health initiatives that focus on helping every child and adult in our area live a healthy and thriving life.
Donations are always welcome for this program. The most needed items for the Weekend Backpack program include:
- Grains – graham or animal crackers, dry cereal and oatmeal.
- Proteins – canned spaghetti and meatballs/ravioli, stew and peanut butter
- Fruit – Canned fruit/fruit cups, dried fruit and applesauce
- Miscellaneous – Fat-free, sugar-free desserts items, 100 percent juice, shelf stable milk
- Pop-top items or microwavable cups foot items are preferred. Please do donate glass containers.
Donation locations for the Weekend Backpack program are:
United Way of Northern Arizona Flagstaff Family Food Center
1515 E Cedar Ave., Suite D1 3805 E. Huntington Dr.
Flagstaff, AZ 86004 Flagstaff, AZ 86004
Those interested in volunteering for this program are asked to contact Elaine Hebestreit at email@example.com or call 928-773-9813. FBN